Prep Time: 15 min Inactive Time: 10 min Cook Time: 1 hr Serves: 6
This brings a new meaning to the term “comfort food”. Everyone loves a good meatloaf, but this sweet and smokey twist brings the dish to a whole new level. Serve it up with a side of mashed potatoes, and you’ll have a meal you’re sure to love.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 3/4 cup Vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 cup Smokey Apple Cinnamon Sauce*, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 slices bacon
*The smokey apple cinnamon sauce can be made from a sweet and smokey barbecue sauce (like a Honey Hickory flavor) combined with cinnamon and applesauce, mixed and seasoned to your liking, or can be purchased in-stores or online (Paula Deen’s Smokey Apple Cinammon Sauce).
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Coat a 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, ground pork, onion, egg, applesauce, bread crumbs, 3 tablespoons of Smokey Apple Cinnamon Sauce, kosher salt and black pepper. Mix well.
4. Form the meat mixture into a loaf shape and press into the prepared pan. Brush the top of the meatloaf with 3 tablespoons Smokey Apple Cinnamon Sauce and top with 3 slices of bacon.
5. Bake for 1 hour. In the last 10 minutes of baking, brush the remaining Smokey Apple Cinnamon Sauce over the top of the bacon and return to the oven.
6. Remove from the oven and let cool 10 minutes. Turn out onto a serving platter and garnish with additional Smokey Apple Cinnamon Sauce.